Saturday, July 19, 2008

Leave of absence

I've spent hours at my computer with finger tips patiently waiting for my mind to manufacture the words they'd normally be moving onto my flat-screen monitor and just as many hours in bed with my notebook at side, pen in hand, ready to transcribe ideas that just never came since yesterday afternoon -- when I found out my grandmother had been hospitalized, I'll spare the details.

I've tried writing, but I can't. Since I got a text message telling me my grandma was in the hospital (really? I couldn't even get a phone call?) I've written a total of 119 words. 119. Hours of trying to get words out of my system and I was able to get down a total of 119 damn words. Terrible. I've written much more than the 30-something thousand words I've posted on this blog because I really do write every day, I just can't post a lot of it because either A) it hasn't been completed yet, B) it became way too personal and I just don't trust you or myself enough to posr it on a blog, or C) it was just too shitty. I've never gone a day and a half of wanting to write and turned out so little, and what I did write falls under all three of the catagories I just mentioned -- not done, personal, and shitty.

So I've decided that I'm not going to write -- or at least I'm not posting anything on this blog -- until I know she's going to be better, or at least until she's able to leave her hospital bed. It's just not a good time. I've never lost anyone close to me so, suffice to say, the news was a little hard on me. I can't write, for the second night in a row I'm up well past two (for those of you who don't know me I'm rarely up past 12 on a normal night) and, if that wasn't enough reason, I just don't feel like anything I've written over the course of the last three to four weeks has been worth anyone's time.

I'm apologizing in advance if I seem a bit distant to those of you I'm close with these next few days, I'll do what I can not to be.

Get well soon, Grandma. Hopefully I'll blog again soon.

1 comment:

Mike Turner said...

Hope all is well fella and family comes first before anything.