Friday, November 14, 2008

Notes on the NBA [pt. 2]

I'm back with another edition of my NBA's observations. You can read this post, along with the rest of talkhoops.net's Eight Second Violation here.

This edition of my observations I get into the Atlanta Hawks. Also, my cousin asked me my thoughts on the Lakers and NBA.com moving Lebron James up six spots in the MVP voting, so I'll share my thoughts on that here too.



Atlanta Hawks
After an impressive first round loss to the Celtics in last season’s playoffs, many wondered if the Atlanta Hawks were going to be able to come back this season as a legitimate threat in the Eastern Conference. After seven games, the Hawks have answered those questons going 6-1 with their one loss coming from a last second shot dropping from the NBA Final’s MVP (I just threw up realizing that Paul Pierce has a Finals MVP), with Al Horford in early foul trouble and without Josh Smith. How have they been doing it?

The Hawks have been winning by playing defense. The Hawks have the league’s fifth best scoring defense allowing just 91.4 points per game. The Hawks didn’t allow any team to break the century mark against them until Smith went down with an injury and only allowed one team (Toronto) to break 90 before Smith’s injury. What’s been most impressive about the Hawks is they’ve played extremely well on the road. Before Smith’s injury, they were only giving up 83 points per game on the road, which included trips to Orlando (85) and to New Orleans (79).

Their athleticism has translated into a legion of versatile defenders. Unlike most teams, the Hawks are able to switch on the majority of screens set by their opposition, which has really given opposing offenses fits. Guys like Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams are able to guard multiple positions and have been able to reduce the number of open looks teams would normally have off of pick and rolls. If veterans like Mike Bibby, Johnson and Ronald Murray can keep the youngsters in line and if they can stay healthy, this could be a very dangerous team in the East.

Not expected: I just spent the previous two paragraphs talking about Atlanta’s defense, but Mike Woodson has seven guys currently averaging double figures. They’re also turning it over at a low rate (just overt 13 per game, seventh in the league) and they have the leagues eighth best assist to turnover ratio (1.57). Also, the Hawks have shown that they won’t have to rely on Joe Johnson to have big numbers or to take over fourth quarters for them to win games. Against Chicago, Johnson was only four for 16 with 17 points, but got 27, 17 and six blocks from Al Horford and nine points from Mike Bibby in the fourth quarter.

Something to consider: Atlanta’s next nine games are against teams that are a combined six games under .500, playing only two teams (Indiana and Cleveland) who currently have winning records. If the Hawks continue to keep their defensive intensity up, they could finish November with a record somewhere between 16-1 and 14-3. I’m not saying that’s how it’s going to play out, but it’s a definite possibility. They’ve been playing as well as anyone in the league outside of the Lakers and the Jazz. This beyond belief considering that some predicted that Mike Woodson would be the first coach fired this season.



Los Angeles Lakers
The Lakers have been scary good to start off this season, and in my opinion, they haven't even scratched the surface of how good they can be on the offensive end. There have been several times this year where the Lakers have gone more than three minutes without scoring, with the majority of those times coming when there were at least three starters on the floor. The Lakers' second unit has played brilliant this season and can be directly attributed for at least two of their wins so far.

What I've liked most about the team so far is the fact that their average margin of victory has been something like 18 points per game (I don't feel like looking up the actual number right now lol) and Kobe still hasn't had one of those games where he's "Kobe." I love the fact that he's keeping opposing teams defenses honest while still getting his (just over 24 ppg). Just knowing Kobe can still go off at any time (as we've seen in three separate fourth quarters this season), makes me feel great about where this season is headed.

When the Lakers traded for Trevor Ariza last season I couldn't be more excited, and all of my boys who hate the Lakers couldn't under stand why -- now they do. He's been amazing off the bench for the Lakers, and so has Jordan Farmar (who I think will be the Lakers starting pg either by the end of this season or the beginning of next). Sasha has been streaky, but that was expected and I love the way Phil Jackson's been using Luke Walton. Every time the Lakers go on those 5-7 spurts of one-on-one basketball (like we saw at the end of the third and the beginning of the fourth against the Hornets) he brings in Walton who he knows will move the ball around. Just the fact that Jackson has the personnel to do that makes me smile (lol).

I can't wait for this game against Detroit tonight.



NBA.com's MVP Voting
As far as NBA.com moving LeBron ahead of Kobe in the MVP race (from 7th to 1st is a huge jump) I could really care less at this point. It's the middle of November and Bron was at the top of everyone's list at this point in the season last year. I do think, if he can keep numbers like this all season and the Cavs win 50 games, I think he'll win the MVP as long as the Lakers don't win something like 70 games or CP3 doesn't continue this ridiculous streak of 20 and 10 games. I really like what Joe Johnson has done this season and he could be a major player for the MVP if the Hawks can stay atop the Eastern Conference. Dwyane Wade's numbers this last week have been stupid. I think he might be quicker than he was before the surgery, and that's just scary.

4 comments:

Mike Turner said...

Welcome back, champ. I wonder how many are going to say I'm a bandwagon Hawks fan. I've been a fan with the Hawks since the late 80's with Dominique as my favorite player. Trust me, I almost died from vomiting on myself when the Hawks with the best record in basketball traded him for bumb ass Danny fucking Manning. I don't know how long the Hawks will go on playing like this because this shit is shocking me with how they are playing, but I hope it continues. Hopefully, if they have the best record by the time the All-Star game comes around, they won't trade Joe Johnson for lets say, another Craig Ehlo or Grant Long.

imsohideous said...

It's only a matter of time before dudes start wearing Al Horford and Mike Bibby jerseys to high school basketball games. Bandwagon fans are the scum of the earth. I just died thinking about Grant Long's bum ass. lol

THE CEREBRAL BEAST said...

I've delayed any comment to this particular post simply because i DESPISE the Atlanta Hawks. This all stems from last year's playoff round against my C's.

The amount of disrespect and immaturity that Atlanta showed was unbelievable. It reminded me of a And 1 game. I will not deny their athleticism and energy or the fact that we will see them in the playoffs this year again but EXPECT to see them shown to the door in the first round again. They lack experience, poise and that championship mentality. Plus you can't build a CHAMPIONSHIP team around Joe Johnson or with coach Woodson. Bibby brought stability to the team but not enough to take them to the second round.

What solidified my DISGUST for this team was ZaZa Pachulia's semi-HEADBUTT to Kevin Garnet. WHO THE FUCK do you think you are to even try to dog KG??? I mean yeah, show the opposing team you're not afraid and shit...but to get up in the face of such a symbolic player? Stupid ass move. You've been in the league 5 unaccomplished years as a 2nd round draft pick....and you wanna go at KG like that? Man...you should be a lil bit more humbled to even be in the fuckin NBA and focus more on winning the fuckin game instead of trying to make pointless statements. Whatever man....shit makes me heated.

imsohideous said...

LOL. I love the Hawks for all the reasons you hate them simply because I hate the damn Celtics. I would have cried tears of joy if that super powerhouse in Boston would have lost in the first round to a team that finished about 49 games under .500.