Monday, June 22, 2009

I have a lot of writing to do

I have a lot of writing to do.


A lot of writing is neither an understatement or an overstatement, it’s just the truth. I have to average 1,177 words over the next 85 days to reach 100,000 words before the fall quarter of my last year as an undergrad at California State University, Bakersfield begins. To some, 100,000 words may seem like a lot, but for me it is a goal that I’ve tried to reach once, and failed miserably due to my laziness.

If you followed me last summer, you would know that I’ve tried to get to 100k and fell just over 36,000 words short. Again, for some, that may seem like a lot, but it isn’t in the scope of things. I wrote well over 60 percent of the words that I wanted to write while going well over 40 days of not writing. Let’s say that all of my posts from last summer were in consecutive days, that would have set my pace for 1,217.25 words per day (yes, I sat down and did the math). Considering that I left 48 days on the table and the fact that I was writing over 1,200 words per day, I know I would have written well over 121k for the summer (121,725 to be exact). Knowing this makes it much easier for me to sit down and confidently say that my goal of 100,000 words for this summer is definitely within reach.


Why 100,000 words? Well, the answer is two-fold. The first is because I tried to do it last year and I failed. I need to redeem my self. The second is because I need to write more. I spent last summer trying to write as much as possible just to get in the habit of writing all the time. This year I have a purpose. I need to become a better writer technically. I’ll be printing and editing all of my posts before you see them. I need to realize what mistakes I’m making, figure out why I keep making them, and then figure out how to stop making these mistakes. There will always be jobs for people who can write. I just need to become a better writer than the next guy and I can’t get better unless I write as much as possible.


Last summer I was very sporadic with my posts. I was writing about everything, which really is not going to do me any good this summer. This summer I’ll be focused on three things: Sports, Music and Samuel L. Jackson movies. From time to time I’ll post something completely random or some thoughts on current event x or book or movie y, but for the most part, this summer will be sports, music and Samuel L. Jackson movies.


With that, I have some research and a lot of writing to do.


-Stay Hideous

Word Count: 480

1 comment:

Adrian said...

Glad to see you writing on here again. By the look of it, you're pretty damn good.

Kudos....and keep it up.